Looking for a flexible schedule volunteer opportunity to serve your nursing association and your nursing community?
Become a Nurse Peer Reviewer — Supporting Quality Continuing Education
The Western Multi-State Division (WMSD) and its three member associations — AzNA, ANA-Idaho, and UNA invite qualified nurses to serve as peer reviewers to evaluate continuing education programs for approval. Their expertise supports continuing education activities for the nurses in our four state division and beyond.
As new Nurse Peer Reviewers (NPR), you will be provided mentoring and training to ensure your understanding of the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) standards for evaluating both individual activity applications (IAA) and Approved Provider (AP) Self-study narratives.
Initially, you will be provided an electronic presentation where we discuss the criteria and expectations when evaluating Individual activities for compliance with ANCC criteria. Then you will be mentored as you evaluate training activities (activities that have been previously scored). This is followed by current Activity evaluations. After successful completion of these individual activities, you will begin a training process for reviewing Approved Provider Self-study narratives, which also includes 3 activities therein. Another electronic web presentation will be provided that discusses standards and compliance criteria. You will perform a review of 1-2 current AP self-study narratives under the watchful eye of the Nurse Peer Review Leader followed by participation in a consensus call.
Ongoing competency requirements:
1. Participate in Interrater reliability study, as conducted.
2. Attend annual WMSD NPR virtual conference or similar ANCC conference.
3. Attend at least 2 NPR Council meeting, held quarterly.
4. Complete ANCC NPR competency validation, as required.
- A currently licensed RN with a Bachelors Degree in Nursing or higher?
- Interested in joining a unique group of nurse peers supporting providing ANCC accredited continuing education for the nurses in your community?
- A nurse planner for education programs and events or a primary nurse planner of an Approved Provider unit who wants to stay current in your knowledge of ANCC accreditation criteria?
- Willing to serve on the volunteer review panel or as an independent reviewer?
- Qualified with a background in education, training, and or relevant knowledge and experience in educating nurses that would prepare you to participate in the peer review process
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, and accessing email and email attachments
If so, learn more about the selection and training process for Nurse Peer Reviewers. Please complete this form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact your about this volunteer opportunity!
The WMSD would like to recognize our volunteer Nurse Peer Reviewers who have agreed to have their names published. Your dedication to continuing nursing education is so very much appreciated. Thank you for your service and continued dedication to the WMSD and nursing professional development.
Susan Gonda, DNP, RN (WMSD NPRL and LNP)
Cyndie Koopsen, MBA, BSN, HBN-BC, RN-BC, HWNC-BC (WMSD ANPRL)
Tina Polgar (WMSD ANPRL)
Selina Bliss, PhD, RN, CNE, RN-BC
Roxanne Bowers, MSN, RN-BC
Dawna Cato, PhD, RN
Susan Clarke, MS, RNC-NIC, RN-BC, CNS
Jody DeStigter, MS, RN-BC
Diann DeWitt, PhD, MS, RN, CNE
Amy Fitzgerald, MHI, BSN, RN, CPP
Ann Froese-Fretz, MS, RN, CNS, CPNP-PC
June Fouse, MSN-ED, RN, CNOR
Traci Gluch, MSN, RN, CCRN
Aileen Hoggan, MSNEd, RN, RN-BC, CNOR
Kara Mangold, DNP, RN-BC, CCTN, CNE
Tammy Nelson, MSN, RN
Cheryl Schmidt, PhD, RN, CNE, ANEF, FAAN
Linda Tinker, MSN, RN. CHSE
Nancy Webber, MSN-ED, RN
Joy Whitlatch, EdD, MSN, RN
Patty Wilger, MS, BSN, RN
Rebecca Wilson, PhD, RN